Sunday, May 1, 2011

Confession: I'm a Dog Lover!

In the last few weeks, I’ve become a dog lover. I never imagined I would be one of those “dog people,” gushing over a common canine. And yet, here I am arranging and rearranging my life around a dog!

For years I've teased family and friends who have dogs and reorder their lives like they're children. It's so much easier being a cat owner. I can leave for the weekend and the cat is fine with a litter box and a few days of food. A dog is a different story.

Well, in early March at my dentist's office, I happened to mention to the dental assistant, Melinda, that I was considering a dog. Melinda’s office wall is covered with dog photos and she herself owns five. I shared with her that I thought the time might be right for me to look for a dog.

Truth be told, I've been thinking about a dog since I moved in to this old farmhouse. I really want the security of a dog on the property and had hoped a dog might be a deterrent to my ever-present critter problem. Yet, my life was too busy to make the commitment to a dog.

Well, by the end of the day of my dentist appointment, Melinda had emailed a photo of "Spencer," a Rottweiler mix available for adoption from a local rescue organization. She just knew he would be perfect for me.



I’m still not sure what motivated me to drive 40 minutes to take a look at him that snowy Saturday in March. The rescue organization was having an adoption event at a pet store on the east side. And there he was. He looked at me with wary eyes, and lowered his head each time I tried to pet him.


He wasn’t overly friendly, but pleasant and well behaved. Something about this sweet pup caused me to say yes to Canine Lifeline's two-week trial. At least I knew there was an out!

Well…. no “out” was needed. He stole my heart after the first night. He cuddled up on a pet pillow at the foot of my bed and never made a peep.

“Spencer” now answers to “Samson.” It’s a strong name, reminiscent of the strong man in scripture. And the shy, timid fella that arrived seven weeks ago has become happy and confident. I think he finally feels secure, and having him here makes me feel secure too.

I’m still amazed that the very first dog I looked at has fit so perfectly into my world. But he has. And now I must confess...

I’m a dog lover ;-)


...because of Samson.

No comments:

Post a Comment