Sunday, May 15, 2011

Be Careful What You Ask For

I adopted Samson two months ago with the hope that he would make the place feel secure and, also, be a deterrent to the critters who have done so much damage around the property.

I couldn’t have imagined my answer would come so quickly and dramatically.

CAUTION – graphic scenes






I had grabbed my camera thinking it might be funny once the groundhog realized the dog was there. I never considered he was headed FOR the dog, nor do I understand why. Samson was on a chain, hadn’t barked or provoked the groundhog. What would have possessed this animal to do this? In the end, Samson did what he was created to do; he defended himself and the property.

Unbelievably, less than a week later, I heard Samson barking and found him, once again, in a battle with a groundhog. This time, though, the animal put up a furious fight and I ended up having to pull Samson away. He was covered in blood, and I wasn’t sure how badly he was injured. Gratefully, the blood wasn’t his and there wasn’t a scratch on him. What a dog.

I’m so grateful that this wonderful dog is now making my home secure and defending the property. Just what I asked for! Yet, I’m not sure I was quite ready for this....

No comments:

Post a Comment