Sunday, July 18, 2010

True Freedom?


"Humility does not mean thinking less of yourself than of other people, nor does it mean having a low opinion of your own gifts. It means freedom from thinking about yourself at all. 
--William Temple

Wow.

A friend of mine calls this a "whammy word." It's one of those phrases that hits you in the heart...one that God often uses to get your attention. Well, he got my attention with this one.

Humility. It's the ultimate in Christlikeness. It's what I strive for as a believer. But, I never quite thought of it this way.

Humility means "freedom from thinking about yourself at all." I love that! How much time do I spend thinking about what I need, how I feel, what the day will hold? How free could I be if I never thought of myself at all?

Really, it's a position of being confident in God's watchcare. Trusting that no matter what I need, or how I feel, or what the day will hold, I'm in good hands. I can cast off all that is "me" focused, and focus on him alone.

How much more he could use me?.....

No comments:

Post a Comment