Saturday, July 10, 2010

Horse Country

I had the absolute pleasure of spending a few days in beautiful Shelby County, Kentucky. Nestled between Lexington and Louisville, the area is a horse lover's paradise.

A dear friend of mine moved here some years ago, and fell in love with Kentucky and with a local man named Eric.They have a wonderful young family, and it was a joy to spend time in their home. There is something special about spending extended time in someone's home and seeing life up close and personal. It made me appreciate the gift of love the Lord has bestowed on their household.



Eric's family homestead includes more than 1000 acres of beautiful rolling farmland. As a country girl myself, their land looks to me like something dreams are made of. Acres and acres of corn and soybeans and tobacco.... green and alive. It makes my heart sing!! A patient man, Eric spent the better part of a 100 degree day allowing me to do a little exploring. ;-)




















This is all that remains of an old home on the property.... the entrance to the cellar and a dome that once held ice.




















The old mule barn. Eric explained how the overhead pulley would be attached to the mule team, who would lift the bales into the loft. Ingenius in its day.

I had the chance to drive one of the tractors AND also learned how to use the bush hog. I LOVED IT!


And I fell in love in Kentucky. His name is Jack.... and he's a 3-year-old Appaloosa.

Horse farms, large and small, line the beautiful Kentucky roads. Big business for some and, for the farms we visited, a labor of love.

It may not be everyone's idea of the perfect vacation, but it was for me. Large, open spaces and rolling hills. Life as it was in former days. Green fields and fresh air. Ahhhh.....

No comments:

Post a Comment