Saturday, July 24, 2010

Beautiful in Its Time


It's been a remarkably emotional week for me.

I've finally come to grips with something I've put off for the seven years I've lived on My Canaan. I've known, since the day I moved in, that my gorgeous 200+ year old maple tree would need to come down. I tried to save it, having it trimmed a few years ago, but truth is that each major branch is hollow. It's rotted to its core and is a significant hazard, especially so near the house.

So, I made the call and watched this week as the tree trimmers began the incredible task of taking it down.

So, I made the call and watched this week as the tree trimmers began the incredible task of taking it down.
I learned a few things through this process. Speaking with our local historian, I discovered that the major east-west streets in my town were named for the trees in the area. Butternut, Chestnut, and mine - Sugar Ridge. Sugar Ridge was named for the prevalence of the sugar maple. And it's my beautiful sugar maple that is meeting its end.



So, it feels like a bit of history coming down. This tree has framed the property for hundreds of years, and it's unique beauty won't ever be duplicated. Massive at 60-feet tall, with a circumference of over 250", its stature is magnificent. At a glance, its branches seem to reach to the heavens like arms raised in praise.



Everything about my place now looks different. Stark, empty, barren. This one tree gave the property its character and personality.

Yet, for everything there is a season.... a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot. For my maple, its time is finished. My heart is ever-so-sad, and yet I know that God has made everything beautiful in its time. My Canaan is beautiful because his presence dwells here.


"No longer shall there be wasting or destruction within your borders;
But you shall call your walls Salvation, and your gates Praise."

No comments:

Post a Comment