Sunday, January 22, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent

The ladies in my bible study have been raving about a new recipe for homemade laundry detergent.  Easy to make, economical, "green," and a little goes a long way. So....I finally gathered the ingredients and made a batch this afternoon.  
 

  • 1 cup Borax
  • 1 cup Washing Soda
  • 1 bar Laundry Soap (I used Fels Naptha)
The most difficult task was grating the bar soap. It was time consuming and a little more work than I expected.  AND, I was surprised at how fragrant the Fels Naptha was. Overwhelmingly fragrant, actually.



Once finished, the bar soap ended up looking a bit like grated cheddar cheese. Kinda strange when you put it all together, as the consistency is so different. 

In any case, because the fragrance was so strong, I decided to start with one load of towels.  If the perfumey smell was too much, at least I wouldn't have to wear it!

So, I just pulled the towels out of the dryer and there is no perfumey smell at all!  As a matter of fact, I wonder if I should go back and add the optional essential oil for fragrance.  All in all, it made nearly 4 cups of detergent and it only takes 2 TBSP for a standard load.   Looks like I'm in business with my own homemade laundry detergent!! 

Thanks to Savvy Brown for the recipe and instructions!  Click here for more info:  Savvy Brown's homemade laundry detergent

1 comment:

  1. This is great...even the pictures look like they would lead someone to try it...and so I will. I think you should put this on FB where people can see it and be helped with this "recipe".

    ReplyDelete