Sunday, May 16, 2010

Further on Seeds

Ok..... I'm gonna get a bit theological this morning. Maybe appropriate for a Sunday. I haven't quite got my brain around this, but the principle is remarkable.

The first mention of seeds in scripture is right at the beginning, Genesis 1:11:

"..the fruit tree yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself..."

The idea is that the seed needed to reproduce the same plant is found inside itself.

Yet the root word for seed in Hebrew is "zera," which means to sow, to scatter, to disseminate. So....the only way for the plant to be reproduced is for the seed to be scattered, disseminated to good soil, where the new plant can take root and grow.

The seed is within.... yet must be cast out and scattered to fulfill its purpose.

How appropriate then are Jesus' words in Luke 8:11? "The seed is the Word of God." God plants his word within us, so that we can disseminate it and bear fruit, reproducing the life of Christ in others.

Hmmm..... I wonder what this means for me. Maybe that I need be always aware that God plants his word in me for a reason. It's not just for me. Rather, it's so that I will be the Lord's soil, if you will. Created to bear fruit.

No comments:

Post a Comment