Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Just Dandy!

The last couple of weeks have held a fair share of difficulties.
...a computer virus, which disabled my PC for a few days.
...storms and rain, much more than usual for the spring months.
...a significant challenge (and accompanying motherly anxiety) for my son's fledgling business.
...and a mower repair service in no hurry to return my riding mower.

No big deal, really. Just your standard everyday challenges. But, that explains the gap (again!) in my blog. Ugh.

The lack of a riding mower, and an abundance of rain, have created the biggest challenge. It means mowing two acres with a small push mower. In 2-3 hour evening segments, it takes me all week (11 hrs last week)... just in time to start over again! And I'm no spring chicken anymore!!

I will say, though, that my brain works overtime when I mow. I think. And I pray. And I think some more. This week, as I mowed, I had plenty of opportunities to think. LOTS of time to think. And my mind went to dandelions...

There they were, aaalllll over the yard... creeping taller and taller and poking out their silly yellow heads. I couldn't wait to get them mowed down! And then I remembered something...

My mom thinks they're lovely. :-)


Dreaded weeds I can't wait to get rid of, and my mom sees them as little splashes of God's lovely color on the earth. She doesn't see a difference between dandelions and any other flower you plant and tend and cultivate. As a matter of fact, the fact that they spring up on their own and don't need to be planted makes them that much more a delight to her. LOL!!

My mom.

She sees beyond the natural to the supernatural. Beyond the troubles to the truth. The truth is that dandelions are sometimes more colorful than any flower in the garden. A burst of sunshine in an otherwise plain 'ole green field.

Mom made the comment to me recently that she even finds those dandelion puff balls fascinating. The little seeds are carried off on the wind to settle and grow somewhere else. Once more, God's unique creation. And my mom's always-rosy perspective.


Maybe I should draw on that perspective in times of challenge. Maybe not having the computer gives me more time to connect with friends. Maybe push-mowing the lawn provides good exercise. Maybe life challenges give me more opportunities to trust God.

Maybe a dandelion isn't a weed at all.

2 comments:

  1. Of course, I love this missive. And the lovely pictures of dandelions and the white fluff. Which (the leaves) are also edible and great in a salad or sauteed. And yes, much as we hate them...our challenges are a growing process.
    love and hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry I missed this....so glad I saw it now!Just like dandelions, times of challenge come and go but the landscape of our lives are the richer for them. It has been a super mild winter in NE Ohio this year. Is that a dandelion I see peeking it's head through the snow?

    ReplyDelete