Friday, June 4, 2010

From Seeds to Weeds

Maybe it's just me, but it seems my garden provides one spiritual lesson after another.

Once we were well past the Ohio frost date, I began tilling and planting. It seems I can't manage to get everything done on the weekend, or the weather doesn't cooperate, so I took a day off to plant. My first job was to rototill.

Have you ever used a rototiller ? It's designed so that, when you engage the lever, it's driven forward. The hard work is in holding it back so it can fully do its job. My borrowed rototiller is a pretty good size, so holding it in place takes a bit of muscle.

Well.....

I must have the hardiest weeds in Ohio!

This ground was planted last year, so there is only one season of growth, basically just the weeds that came up last fall. Yet, as I tilled, some of those weeds wouldn't come up!! I'd have to hold that tiller in one spot and let it grind and grind. And yet, I'd look back and see that same nasty weed pop back up again!!

Weeds. No wonder the Lord uses them as an analogy for sin. The roots go so deep..... and..... they keep coming back to squeeze out the good crops. I've found it's so much easier if they can be snatched up while they're small, before they take root and stake their claim to that spot of land.

This lesson also makes evident the real value of fruit (or vegetables in my case). Bearing fruit is not easy; it takes commitment and hard work.

I keep wondering if I have what it takes to keep up with the hard work of gardening. I love it!! But it sure ain't easy!

1 comment:

  1. wonderful analogy. Oh how I wish my sin had tiny little roots that lift out easily. But, of course, they go down 68yrs. Thank God for his armor and word and prayer to dig out these offending things

    ReplyDelete