Sunday, April 11, 2010

"Pepper"

About a month ago a sweet little tuxedo kitten peered into my porch window, and tugged at my heartstrings. Lots of cats hang near the house, but this one's boldness surprised me. He hopped right up on the porch chair and made his presence known, meowing until he got my attention.

Hesitantly, I softened to the little guy. First, I offered a bowl of catfood. Then, a pat on his head. Soon, I looked forward to his presence first thing in the morning. I'm not sure I've ever seen such a sweet natured kitty. It capped off my day to set him in my lap and listen to him purr.

Well today, the first view out of that same porch window was that little darling laying on the side of the road. He hadn't yet learned the danger of the street. Poor thing. So we scooped him up and buried him in the back field. As the dirt covered his sweet little face, I was overcome by how quickly he had won my heart.

It really is a very special privilege to love God's creatures. The Lord must know how our hearts long for companionship. Even though this little one was only with us a few short weeks, I hope he felt loved. I'm reminded in my sadness what I already know: It's a risk to love, but it's worth it. Rest in peace, sweet little one.





2 comments:

  1. I love this message. So much truth in it. Yes, it is a risk to love. Reminds me of the risk Jesus took for us. thanks for sharing and for loving this little "Pepper" for the time he had left here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry about Pepper, Pam. He was very sweet. I thought of Meg when you wrote about the risk to love. Even though it's painful to lose them, it would be much worse to be without the memories. Thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete