Sunday, August 16, 2009

Critter Chronicles

One of the huge challenges "down on the farm" is battling an ever present critter population. Prior to my moving in five years ago, the house sat empty for nearly a year. So, the animals took their cue to move in.... especially the groundhogs. As a matter of fact, several times in the first year I had to deal with them in my basement!!! Those varmints chewed right through the basement door and made themselves at home inside.
It's really incredible the damage these small rodents can do.... damage to the house..... and damage to the barn....




























Needless to say, it's a constant battle to try and eliminate them. That's why I jump for joy whenever I can catch one! The count is up to 69 in five seasons -- groundhogs, possums, raccoons and even a couple of skunks. I wonder if the battle will ever come to an end, or if I will be fighting critters as long as I live here. Guess all I can do is set the cages and hope someday I'll write "The End" on my critter chronicles!!

No comments:

Post a Comment